Monday, June 28, 2010

life is fleeting. only He is constant and unfailing.

This whole relation I am about to explain may seem confusing to you, but today we got word of the death of my step-grandfather's son. So, not really my uncle at all, but still someone close to my family. He was only 53, and died in the hospital in his hometown of Juneau, Alaska. He lost his father (my step-grandfather) this past summer, and has had severe diabetes all his life, among other health concerns. He was not married and worked as the maintenance worker for an apartment, which surely did not help his many health problems. If anyone had reason to complain, it was him. Despite this fact I distinctly remember him for his humor and silly self-depricating manner. He was always poking fun at himself and making the best of whatever situation he was in.

Even though he lived far away and I rarely saw him, hearing this news really got me to thinking about the future. Yes, Randy had health concerns, but no one saw this coming. I can't help but get scared knowing that I can't even count on being alive tomorrow. Our society is built on the idea that we must constantly plan things, map out our future... our schooling, our career, preparing for our future financial situation... but none of it is guaranteed. NONE of it.

These verses from James hit me like a ton of bricks: “Come now, you who say, ‘Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit.’ Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away.” Wow.

As I mentioned in my last post, I am reading "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan. Chapter 2 is called You Might Not Finish This Chapter. Chan emphasizes the point in this verse that we legitimately ARE vapors. We may not believe it, but we really could vanish any second, and be gone. That's it. Poof. Dunzo on Earth. Which, if you are going to the right place, won't be an issue, but since life is fleeting it is absolutely necessary to, in every second of our lives, glorify Him in all we do.

I'll be honest. From day to day, I don't think about dying. I go on living my life as if I had the rest of it to live. I think about what I'm doing this weekend, and worry about what job I will get. Who am I to say I will be fortunate enough to live that long? I'm not anyone. You hear about things that happen on the news, or to acquaintances and it seems like nothing, it doesn't affect you. It is only once you have a personal experience that it hits you.

I can only hope that with this realization I will begin to live my life in a way that is pleasing to Him every single day. There's no "I'll do it tomorrow" when it comes to serving Him. Chan's book is EXCELLENT. As I have said, it is difficult to read but I highly recommend it. I feel like it will help me in my journey with Christ and help me to truly love Him like I should.

No comments:

Post a Comment