Tuesday, November 30, 2010

oh, hey life. nice to see you too.

I am almost done with my first semester of sophomore year. Crazy. What's next? TIME TO ENTER THE REAL WORLD.

....Wait, what? Yeah, I know. Life comes at you fast. All the sudden I'm having to declare my major, figure out what I want to do with it, and apparently it's normal to be applying for goodness-knows-how-many internships for the summer. WHOA. So. I'm working on my resume, researching local businesses (even thought I'm not too sure what i want to do with my life, career-wise), and all that sort of grown up stuff.

My plans are to apply for 7 internships. Will I get any? Maybe. Hopefully. We'll see. Anything from marketing to graphic design to advertising to journalism... I'll take it. And not get paid for it. Sweet.

I'm just concerned about having "a leg up" on other applicants. Don't get me wrong, I love Wofford, but oftentimes an English major (even with a communications concentration) doesn't actually speak volumes to future employers of how capable I am at doing certain jobs, and I can't deny I won't have the experience in certain areas that a lot of students from schools with marketing and visual communications programs will.

Have I ever thought about transferring? Yeah, every once and a while. Would I want to? Yes, but that wouldn't come without a lot of sacrifice, heartache, and thought. I don't want to give up all I've got going for me here at Wofford and all the awesome people I know and love, but it's always way too easy to think about how things "could be", you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment