Saturday, August 6, 2011

Freedom!

I realize it has been a while since I updated this blog, but my previously mentioned internship at the Drive has made it quite difficult for me to have a lot of time to myself! Thankfully, I am now in my first full week of a true summer, because last week marked the last week of my internship!

I'm not going to go into a lot about my internship, if you know me, you know what I did and how I feel about my experience, but I will say I did learn a lot. It was my first "big girl" job. Previously, basically all I had done was babysit, so this was my first time working under a true boss. I loved my boss, he was a relatively young guy and freaking hilarious. The only part that I really didn't like was my incredibly long hours with no pay, but I guess that's intern life, right? Sometimes it was just really discouraging, when I would spend incredible amounts of time at the ballpark and miss out on time with my best friends and family, but I learned to keep a smile on and just do what I'm told. I learned how to use Photoshop and got the opportunity to practice a little graphic design... a career path I had once flirted with. I enjoyed it, but only wish I had more knowledge and resources to do all the fun creative things I was assigned!

I got a peek into a true business management system, got to sit in on meetings and do behind the scenes things, and it all taught me one thing: do what you love. Life is to short to do a job you don't look forward to each day. No matter what I end up doing when I graduate and get a job or a career, I will make sure I wake up each morning looking forward to seeing my fellow employees and doing what I do everyday. This was an amazing opportunity for me, and I am so thankful for my time at the Drive. It was definitely a summer of learning about myself and my interests, and that's what I came for!

No comments:

Post a Comment