Saturday, August 27, 2011

"I suck on the reg"

...wise and oh so true words from my dear former roomie but very close friend Ashley. When I say this, don't think I mean she sucks on the reg. In fact, in my opinion, that is very false. She rocks my face off. We had breakfast today, and little did I know our coffee date would be so encouraging, relieving, refreshing, and all of the above. Something I really need after my sophomore year and this past summer of feeling empty.

When we say "I suck on the reg", that's just Ash's way of expressing how empty, totally miz (miserable, for you all who aren't down with the "abbrevs" [abbreviations]- haha) and unfruitful I am by myself, without truly inviting God into my life. And I agree... I suck on the reg, fo sho.

This past year I was in what I would call a "sophomore slump". Don't get me wrong, I had a good year, but that's all it was... just plain good. Classes were hard, and I stressed a lot. I didn't have a lot of time to myself, or to really spend time with my friends when I wanted to. And, worst of all, my relationship with God really suffered. Going to Passion in January was really refreshing, as was my trip to Peru, but after that I fell into my old ways once getting back to the grind at school. I neglected my studies, church, fellowship opportunities, etc. I knew what I was doing was not good, and not pleasing to God, and I am very disappointed in how things went. This summer was slightly better, because when I was in town I was able to visit my home church, but still with my internship and whatnot I sometimes felt like I had the life sucked out of me, and didn't want to put any effort into any other endeavors... even my spiritual life. Yeah. Not cool.

Now that I've poured out my guts, my time with Ashley gave me a sort of new outlook on this coming year. For me, a priority this year is to work on developing a ZTA Bible study, and with the help of my dear friend and mentor, Emilie, who is on Campus Outreach staff this year, and other sisters, I am really looking forward to making that happen. I am hoping to really get involved with some other religious organizations on campus, like RUF, finding a church in Spartanburg I really love, and really working on my personal relationship with God through extra attention to journaling, prayer, and fellowship. Having fellow believers to keep me in check, push me, and keep me accountable will be invaluable to me and I am so thankful to be fortunate to be surrounded by so many. I can only hope that I will grow in faith, knowledge, and confidence of Jesus Christ this year!

partner in crime :)

No comments:

Post a Comment