Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Guest Post- { Carolina on My Mind }


I'm excited to share with you my blogger friend Addison at Carolina On My Mind! She is busy juggling senior year, life in general and planning her upcoming wedding! She does find time to do some great blogging and always has something fun and interesting to read about!

Easy Egg Salad
Hello! I’m Addison from Carolina On My Mind.  I’ve been reading Ryann’s blog from the very beginning, and was thrilled when I received an email asking if I would guest blog while she is away.  Of course, I said yes without any hesitation! Thank you Ryann for the opportunity to guest blog on one of my favorite blogs! Hope you’re having a blast!
During the winter months I find myself eating chili, soups, and anything that is warm and filling to get me through the next few cold months.  One of my favorite easy recipes to make during the winter months is egg salad.  It is a southern staple, and I love to have it year around, as it is sometimes seen by others as a summer meal.  It is so easy to make, it is healthy, and filling.  I tend to make egg salad for lunch and will eat it on a sandwich, but there are a lot of other alternative ways to eat egg salad if you do not prefer it on a sandwich…eat it on crackers, toasted pita, as a salad topping, on a bed of lettuce, etc! There are so many ways to eat egg salad, and the beauty of this recipe is that you can add anything you want to it.  I like it plain Jane, so I do not add anything to mine, but some suggestions to spice up your egg salad would be celery, onions, pickles, cucumbers, and some people I know even add small tomatoes to theirs.
Google Image
Here is my favorite egg salad recipe and don’t be afraid to add to it…
Ingredients [this yields 4 sandwiches]:
-        6 hardboiled eggs
-        1/3 cup of mayonnaise *I really don’t like mayo that much, so I do not personally use this much.
-        1 teaspoon of yellow mustard *I prefer mustard so I use a lot more mustard to compensate for the mayo.  I usually just eyeball it; I don’t have a set amount.
-        ½ teaspoon of paprika
-        1/8 teaspoon of salt
-        1/8 teaspoon of pepper

Directions
(1)   Boil the eggs- I’ve tried many different ways to boil the eggs and I’ve found that this way works for me.  Cover eggs with about 1 inch of water above them.  Bring them to a rapid boil.  Remove from burner and let me them stand, covered for 10 minutes.  I then put them back on the burner, covered on low heat for 10 minutes.   I know this is odd, but it has worked for me time after time so I live by it.
(2)   Peel and chop the boiled eggs up and add to mixing bowl. You can chop it rough, where you see chunks of the egg, or you can chop it very fine where it looks like little pebbles, either way is just fine.
(3)   This is the step where you add any extra ingredients you would like.  Dump them to the mixing bowl.
(4)   Add the mayo, yellow mustard, paprika, salt and pepper to the mixing bowl.
(5)   Mix until well combined and chill. Should serve egg salad chilled, not warm.
I love that this recipe is filling and reminds me of summer.
Don’t be afraid to eat it all year around, it is just as delicious in the winter as the summer!

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious! Love both of your blogs! Now following!! :]

    ReplyDelete