Sunday, January 22, 2012

Guest Post- { The Sweet Life }


I'm excited to welcome Steph to my little blog! She is a West coast girl who is a lovely bride to be! Hop on over to her blog at The Sweet Life and let her know you stopped  by- you'll be glad you did!

The Benefits of Blogging
Hi there, readers of Ryann’s beautiful blog! This is Steph from The Sweet Life and I am so excited to be guest posting for Ryann while she is on her amazing trip. Having the opportunity to blog about anything made me think about everything, but all my thoughts came back to blogging.


Why do we blog? Why do we devote so much of our precious time to a personal web page that has to be maintained, tailored, and updated on a daily basis? Lord knows we don’t have a ton of free time in our busy lives, but we choose to spend at least a portion of it on our virtual babies, our blogs.

This is why I blog…

A blog is a virtual journal. My blog allows me to archive pictures and stories from all the places I go, the people I meet, the lessons I learn. It is neatly organized by date so that at any time, my memories are only a click away. It also lets me share these experiences with my family, friends, and coworkers who are all avid followers of my blog.


The main reason I started my blog was to document my decisions, opinions, and experiences while I plan my summer wedding. So many milestones are happening this year for my fiancé and I, and I want to remember every detail!

Blogs bring people together. Since I started my blog just a few months ago, I have met some of the most wonderful ladies from across the country, some of which I consider my friends. The concept sounds strange and is something only us bloggers will ever understand. We are connected by the common bond of blogging, and are able to provide support, feed back, and encouragement to our fellow blog friends. I’ve come to find that a lot of girls are going through many of the same things that I am going through, so it is nice to know you aren’t alone in most of the problems you face. It’s also awesome to learn how different life is in different parts of the country. My good friend Dayna from A Bama Belle and a Bucket List has taught me a lot about the South, and I try and teach her about how we roll out here in California.


Blogs are a source of information and inspiration. I cannot tell you how many times I have learned new tricks, recipes, and decorating tips from another blog. It’s made me want to try new things, cook more often, and think outside my own box. Conversely, when I have an idea, a tip, or an opinion, I am able to share that with others. It really is a valuable tool for inspiration about anything from decorating your home, to managing your money, to the newest trends in fashion (which I admit is something I need a lot of help with!).


Blogging is a more personal form of social media. Unlike Facebook, blogs provide a forum for story telling, a place where you can share your adventures in great detail including pictures, links, and explanations along the way. And unlike twitter, you aren’t limited to 142 characters or less (thank goodness!). I’ll admit now that I’m not on Facebook, but I find that blogs are more of a community of similar women that are all striving towards a common goal, and that is to make our lives the best they can be. And I may be biased, but I think we bloggers do a darn good job at that!


At this time, I’d like to take a second to point out that blogging isn’t all roses. To put together a post requires a lot of thought, creativity, and time, which in my busy life are sometimes hard to come by. And if you want your blog to be read and supported by others, then you have to put in the time to read and support other blogs. I seem to come up with some of my best blog topics either while I’m driving or when I’m in the shower…maybe because at those times my mind is more relaxed. I usually blog in the morning (since I work nights) when my brain is fresh and ready to tackle the day, and I read other blogs at night when things are slow at work or I’m home on the couch. I have to be careful to not let it take up too much of my free time, especially when me fiancĂ© is home. We work opposite hours, so I have to enjoy the time I do have with him!


Basically, the moral of this lengthy guest blog is that I love blogging. I love the forum it provides me to speak my mind and share my adventures, I love the people I’ve met from across the country, I love the support system I’ve gained, and I love writing. It makes me feel good when I check my gmail and have positive comments from my latest post. It makes it all worth the work!

If you are reading this, chances are you are already a blogger and have had many of the same experiences with your blogs as I have. It is definitely something I am glad I started and is certainly something I plan to continue for the long haul.

Thanks for reading my guest post…and thank you, Ryann, for letting me babysit your blog while you are away! I’ll leave you all, my fellow bloggers, with one piece of advice…





4 comments:

  1. Great post! I completely agree. Blogging is about meeting people, and I love that so many girls out there are able to help me with my problems and give me advice!:)

    Shelby
    sweetconfessions21.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post!! You're 100% right. I've never thought why I blogged but you hit the nail on the head!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is comletely true! i was just talking about how great the blog community is!

    ReplyDelete