Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Australia/NZ Adventures... Part II!

Dunedin, NZ
Dunedin was quite different than Stewart Island- a city for college students! We didn't see many, since they were on holiday, but it was nice having lots of things to do and places to eat. We toured Speight's brewery, which is a famous brand of beer here in New Zealand. We ate some awesome meals in this area downtown called the Octagon. One day we drove to a marine science center where we spent time exploring the shoreline, visiting a small aquarium, and learning about sea life off the NZ coast. We also stopped by this place called Penguin Place (we called it Penguin Palace!) where we observed wild yellow eyed penguin chicks in their natural habitat!
Exploring on the shore.. I can't believe I actually touched that thing.

Penguin chick... it's so fuzzy!

Quick stop at Baldwin Street... the steepest street in the world, apparently!

Akaroa, NZ
On the way to this cute, French-inspired seaside town we stopped at the Moeraki boulders, which are perfectly rounded and actually really beautiful! We had a fun time exploring the town and shopping in the quaint stores and beautiful little art shops. We ate at the most famous fish and chips place in NZ that apparently catches their blue cod the same day they cook it- talk about fresh!
How beautiful is that sky?!
ZTAs at the Moeraki Boulders!
Akaroa- a beautiful town by the sea!

Kaikoura, NZ
On the way to our last stop in NZ, we stopped at a local farm to watch a sheep herding demonstration as well as a sheep shearing demonstration! The next day we went on a whale watching tour where we saw sperm whales in the Pacific Ocean. Apparently Kaikoura is one of the best places in the world to see whales this time of year. It was cold and windy, and you had to be patient, but it was so amazing being able to see the whales! That night I had the most amazing dinner I had the whole trip- fresh, delicious scallops! Yum! Our last full day was one of the best. We went on a dolphin encounter where we took a boat out into the open ocean to swim (outfitted in wetsuits, masks, snorkels, flippers, the works!) with WILD dusty dolphins! We were so lucky because this "pod" of dolphins was very interested in our group.. I had dolphins swimming under and all around me- it was the coolest thing ever! After freshening up we walked around the town in the warm sunlight and explored the beach before our last dinner!

down on the farm with Martha!
Our whole group at the farm- in the middle is the owner and one of his herding dogs!


Windy and cold whalewatching!
Well hello, sperm whale!
I swam with these wild dusty dolphins!

Exploring Kaikoura!
I had an amazing time, and I am so blessed to have gone! It was an experience of a lifetime and I hope that I can go back one day- I would recommend both Australia and New Zealand to ANYONE! Both countries are so beautiful and it is definitely worth the trip. I am still jet lagged, exhausted, and trying to unpack, but I am enjoying my break until the spring semester starts next Monday! Thank you for all your support and I'm excited to get back in to the blogging groove soon!

I'll leave you with this silly picture...

THANK GOODNESS I checked my FURBY in my luggage! hehe

xoxo, ryann

1 comment:

  1. Goodness, can you imagine how horrible a flight would be if the person in front of you had a Furby! Oye, I hated mine a day after I got it!! And your pictures are so incredible! I am SO jealous of your trip!!

    ReplyDelete