Saturday, February 4, 2012

"I want it to rain so I can wear my rainboots!"

That is my favorite part of the newly popular YouTube video (title edited) "Stuff Sorority Girls Say". Not much of that video actually applies to my lifestyle, but I do love my rainboots. This year I became the proud owner of a pair of Wellies... of course, Hunters!

source: Google images
Are they not beautiful?! I had the hardest time deciding what color to get. I love the bright colors (especially for dreary days!) but I didn't want to get sick of a vibrant color. Lots of girls on campus have dark green, back, and grey, so I wanted a little something different. So I settled on this cranberry color- classic, but a color I had never seen before! Plus they look great with my green raincoat- but my friends jokingly call me Barney (as in the dinosaur) when I wear the color combo.

via piperlime.com
I took a look at them today and realized my wellies were looking ROUGH. Like, real bad. When you pay that much for rainboots, it's silly to let them look that bad. Mine had white splotches all over them, which according to this article, is a waxy residue infused in the natural rubber the boots are made of. It actually protects your boots but makes them look horrible. So I decided to give my boots some TLC!

See? These babies looked bad. I heard from a friend a good way to at least temporarily get rid of the white "bloom" as it is called, and I wanted to share! It's super easy, and I feel like doing a step by step may even be unnecessary for something so basic, but it's just the best way to explain!
  1. Take a slightly damp cloth and wipe down your wellies. After a good rub down, they look considerably better, but continue!
  2. Thoroughly dry your wellies- air dry or with another wash cloth
  3. Use some sort of vegetable oil or olive oil (you can see what I used) and use a washcloth to apply a dime-sized spot and rub it all over. I used one dime sized spot for each boot. 
  4. Let your wellies sit (and keep away from the dog... Roxi tried to get a few licks in!)
  5. Enjoy the shine! They look great! 

WAY too easy, right? They look great and I'm glad I found a quick fix for my splotchy boots! Hope this comes in handy to you at some point!

xoxo, ryann

9 comments:

  1. I love your purple rain boots! That video made me laugh soo hard until I realized that I actually do say "wait..what" a lot...awkward. At least we're not like the rest of the video, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I totally forgot to mention that part! But yes I really do say "wait, what?" way too much... but if that's the worst of it, we're doing pretty great!

      Delete
  2. So I've been struggling all week about whether or not I should buy a pair of Hunters and your post just seems to reiterate that I should. Any other suggestions for cute colors and sizing? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your wellies! They're the only way to survive in Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh I love the color. Thanks for sharing the clean up secret, I never knew that and mine are looking rough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree- that is my favorite line of that video too! Thanks for the tip about the olive oil. I have hunter green Wellies and they are struggling a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your Wellies! I have been wanting some so bad! I love the violet gloss color.

    ReplyDelete