Sunday, February 12, 2012

What boyfriends have taught me.

So, ladies, it is upon us. Love it or hate it, Valentine's Day is right around the corner. You can argue that it's cheesy, it's a commercial holiday created by Hallmark, that you should celebrate your love every day, blah blah blah, but February 14th will still hit you in the face, plastered in pink and red hearts. I apologize for my blog absence, I've been busy and kind of lacking in inspiration, but I decided to do a few Valentine's Day/romance inspired posts in honor of this holiday!

So, I've only dated two guys in my life, and my current loverboy Andrew has been around for over four years, and he has taught me so much. Nonetheless, anyone (actual boyfriend or mere crush) in the past is still an important part of my life and I feel the need to mention them as well. For your amusement (please don't laugh... I was merely a high school sophomore), here is a picture of me with my first real beau:

the beginning, and end, of my pageant career, friends.
Ahhh! So little, right? So, without further ado, I now present (some serious, some silly)....

"What My Boyfriends Have Taught Me"
  1. You can still be friends. Sometimes things don't work out. You don't know what you want, you don't know how the HECK to have a boyfriend, but you still enjoy a person's company. I know that many disagree, but I firmly believe you can still be friends. I have been lucky that my only breakup was on good terms, and it turns out my ex, though we have grown apart, shares some of the same interests I do and has been a good reference for advice and he is truly a nice person.
  2. Got a crazy idea? Just do it. You'll be okay. For example, the pageant in the above picture. I had never done one before, but I was strongly encouraged by friends. Even Brewer told me to do it, and was really sweet about it. And Andrew? Going to separate colleges is tough. It seemed crazy. But in a totally unselfish way, he encouraged me to just go with my heart. And things are great!
  3. Mellow Mushroom and ice cream makes for a great first date. But seriously, both of my first dates were there. Which I personally think is kind of funny.
  4. You have to accept what is best for both of you. Even if you don't know it yet. Yeah, breakups suck. I was broken up with. But even if I didn't want to face it, it's what was best. And because of it, I have learned a lot and God gave me a wonderful guy who is the best thing that's happened to me! And I've had to accept that it's best for Andrew to be abroad now. He gets an amazing travel and learning opportunity, and I get time to myself at school to focus on school, ZTA, family, and everything I ever had "time" to do. It all works out!
  5. I'm into architects. Brewer always wanted to be one, but ended up going on a different path when he found his calling in medicine. Andrew is rocking out in his 3rd year in the architecture program. Ain't it ironic?
  6. Don't be afraid to talk about your faith. It makes your relationship stronger. No matter how "new" your relationship is.
  7. It's the little things that mean the most. A note in the textbook I let you borrow. Flowers after I completed my first sorority fundraiser without a mental breakdown. Buying me a Starbucks on a bad day. Even the smallest gestures can make you the happiest!
  8. Always write how you feel. Email, note, journal, whatever. You will look back at fond memories.
I'm sure I have learned a lot more I don't even realize! Not all relationships last, but you definitely learn from them. And if you're lucky enough to be in one now, you learn something new about yourself, your capabilities, and your strength daily. Here's my shoutout to my Valentine who is all the way across the ocean!

I miss him! I can't wait for our Valentine's Skype date!
xoxo, ryann

2 comments:

  1. This is such a great post! I might have to write on this topic soon. Haha. Boyfriends have taught me more than I care to admit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your boyfriend are too cute!! :) I'm glad we have so much in common, can't wait to get to known you better!!

    ReplyDelete