Saturday, March 24, 2012

Greek Week Champs!



This has been a crazy, hectic week, but TOTALLY worth it! I am proud to say that ZTA won Wofford's Greek Week competition this year!

We've won for the past 21 years (if you count tying with Theta two years in a row) and it was such a relief to keep the record going strong! That's how I'm explaining my absence for the past week.. things have been absolutely non-stop!

I'm sure a lot of you have participated in Greek Week before, but if not, I'll recap what we do at Wofford. It's a week that ironically uses competition to unite sororities and fraternities in Panhellenic and Interfraternal brother and sisterhood. There are competitions throughout the week and events that members of Greek groups must attend in order to get points. For example, Monday we all signed cards for our major professors and attended a speaker who talked to us on using our Greek membership to achieve. Thursday was one of the most fun days... the fraternity cookout and Lip Sync competition!

All sorority and fraternity members head down to The Row, which is our fraternity row on campus where all the houses are. We had burgers from the famous restaurant The Beacon and got ready to see all the sororities perform. Girls practice for weeks to perform in the Lip Sync competition, which is a performance by each sorority of a mix of songs that pertain to a certain set theme. This year the theme was Olympics/sports, and I decided I wanted to dance! Here's the video of our performance that won FIRST PLACE! (Look for me at about 40 seconds at the far left in the turquoise workout top!)




I am so proud! We worked hard on our performance and I thought it was great and even a little funny!

The week concluded with Penny Wars on Friday, and we ended up getting second place! Basically the object is to get as many pennies as you can in your jar, but the other sororities are able to put "silver" in your jar that acts as negative points. We raided all the banks in Spartanburg to get bricks of pennies (worth $25) and even broke a table with our huge stash of pennies! We never do well in penny wars because a lot of times the other groups unite against us, but we did relatively well this year!

On Saturday, the week concludes with Greek Games, which is basically field day for college kids! There is a tug of war, a "keg roll",  a softball throw, relay races, and a sack race, just to name a few events. I didn't participate but I had a great time painting up, cheering on my sisters, and taking photographs as we took win after win! ZTA won Greek Games and then it was announced at the end of the day that we won Greek Week overall! We were so excited! It was a fun week but also very long. Schoolwork got put on hold so it's back to the grind this week... but this is my last week until Spring Break! More on that to come! Here are a few more pictures from Greek Week!

ZTA Vice President and President!

Found one of my Orientation Staff kids! He knows what's up!

I love these girls!!

My little is one of my very best friends.

GREEK WEEK WINNERS!

My ZTA friends after our victory!
Hope you all had a great week!

xoxo, ryann

6 comments:

  1. This was so cute! I loved your Lip Sync performance! This makes me soo excited about joining a sorority in college! (: Love this post!
    -Mollie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Congrats! It looks like you had a blast. I so want to rush next year, but I don't know if it would be weird to rush as a sophomore but going a sorority seems so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greek week is so much fun! congrats. At State Derby Days even bigger than greek week and I always looked forward to it and I was a derby dance each year and practice took up my life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! You had some great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greek week is SO fun! I always loved it at Tech!

    ReplyDelete