Monday, November 26, 2012

saying YES to the dress!

Most girls dream of their wedding dress from the time they're small, hoarding photos and making drawings... not me, necessarily.

okay, I can't lie, I have dreamed of this dress.  let's be real... it's PERFECT. 

Not that I don't love weddings... let's make this clear. I love a good wedding... so much that Andrew knew exactly where to book our reception before he even proposed!

Anyway, as I have been slowly but surely checking things off my wedding "To Do" before "I Do"list, I knew I needed to have a solid idea on what I wanted to wear on my wedding day... cue Pinterest (and thank GOODNESS for these new secret boards!). I had pinned quite a few winners and when I made a reservation at the wonderful Poinsett Bride bridal boutique downtown, I thought I finally had an idea of what I wanted... and dang was I wrong.

Let me preface my story by telling you a little about my background with this lovely dress shop. Paula owns Poinsett Bride and is one of the most hard-working women I know. She is an amazing success story of working hard and achieving wonderful things through passion and determination. When I was little, she used to own an alterations store that my mom and I would take lots of our clothes to. And in elementary school when my dad and I would go on our token "Daddy-Daughter Donut Dates" to Dunkin' Donuts each Saturday morning, Paula would often be there. So, we go way back and I knew I wanted to start my search with Paula's gorgeous shop.

With my mom and best friends Parkes and Natalie in tow, we headed there Saturday after a brief appointment to look at bridesmaids dresses and a wonderful lunch downtown. I had no intention really of buying a dress that day, I just wanted to see some options, try on some dresses.

Paula greeted me with a big hug, exclaiming, "I can't believe my donut baby is getting married!!!" Donut baby... just what a girl wants to be called as she squeezes into a wedding dress, haha! Anyway, she gave us the royal treatment and allowed all four of us into the back room to try dresses... it was magical. As I said, I never really dreamed of my wedding dress shopping experience, but this room was definitely dream-worthy.

instaphoto credit to natalie

Gorgeous, right? It was a little overwhelming, but we snagged gowns I thought I might like, and mom even snagged one, saying, "Let's try this one on just for fun!", and I was game. I went into the dressing room with Paula and wriggled my way into lots of lace, toulle, and silk. I really liked every single dress I tried on, and Parkes, Natalie, and mom were so supportive and complimentary. I had tried on about 7 or so dresses and "liked" a lot of them, but hadn't stopped to really admire any of them in the mirror yet.

However, I tried on the one that mom suggested just for fun, and I got a funny feeling... and funny in a good way. I walked out of the dressing room to gasps from all. I had liked all of the dresses I tried on, and I was afraid to love this one, because then that meant commitment. But I just couldn't stop admiring it and picturing it in my church, at the Wyche Pavillion, and being a part of our important day.

Finally, after lots of tears, smiles, squeals, high fives, and signatures, I made it mine! I said "yes to the dress", that "I'm down with the gown", or whatever they call it these days! I of course am not going to disclose any details, but funny enough, it is exactly the opposite of what I thought I wanted- yet it's perfect in every way. Classic, a little preppy, but still fun, funky, and functional. Then, of course, because I'm me, I made sure we had some cute pictures to Instagram afterward!

my mom has been the BEST!

so blessed to have these two by my side in this crazy fun process!

Of course, we had to have a last hurrah and get my favorite... a Gigi's Cupcake. On that note, fitness and nutrition regimen is back in action starting next week, haha!


This is just one of the many steps on the journey to finally become Mrs. McCall-- it's crazy to think that one day it will actually come! At times it's kind of overwhelming with work and school and planning, but the whole purpose is to have fun with it, and thanks to my loved ones who have helped me along the way, it has been a great experience so far! I'm really looking forward to documenting more wedding progress in the near future!

Hope y'all have a great week!

-rk

6 comments:

  1. congrats! That is so exciting! I tried on a million dresses before i found my dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finding your dress! Aren't Mom's just the best at finding gowns. My mom found almost all of my prom/formal dresses for me. Best taste ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoo hoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ryann, I'm so excited for you!! I'm glad you found "the one" and love that it wasn't at all what you had imagined!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on finding your dress! Can't wait to see what you chose! I found mine 9 months ago and now my big day is only 4 months away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got tears! I can't wait to see you in it!

    ReplyDelete