Monday, November 19, 2012

Why I am bad at watching big-school football.



So this past Saturday, my beloved little Wofford Terriers took on the USC Gamecocks... SoCon vs. SEC... what a match up, right? ...actually, yes. Pretty sure the entire population of Wofford made a mass exodus to Columbia for the game that we've been waiting for since basically FRESHMAN year.

I had never been to a Carolina game before- I've really only been to Clemson football games, and one UVA game... so that's my "big school" football experience.

My throat is sore from screaming and cheering because the T-Dawgs really gave the Cocks a scare... it was 7-7 going into the 4th quarter! I think our boys finally got exhausted though, because in the last 10 minutes of the game we unfortunately we lost it at the end and fell 24-7. However, I am extremely proud of our boys for holding their own and giving USC a little scare... dear ol' Spurrier even gave us a little credit:

“Wofford is a good team,” South Carolina head coach Steve Spurrier said. “We knew that coming in and we knew it was going to be a close dogfight all the way through.”

Finally... credit where credit is due! Anyways, it was a great game and a fun experience for my first time in Williams-Brice Stadium. However, I came to the realization that Wofford is definitely the place for me... I just can't hang at the big schools. And here's why. (Please, USC fans and other big school lovers do not take offense! These are just my self-deprecating musings!)

1. I am directionally challenged. Not only did I basically get lost in the tailgating area, as we were driving back to Spartanburg I noticed a bazillion tailgates in random parking lots up and down the streets... um WHAT? If I went to a big school I would need a GPS tracker. It's actually pretty sad.

2. I'm relatively football illiterate. I LOVE cheering on my Tigers and Terriers. With Clemson, I usually watch from the comfort of my living room where I can listen to commentary and enjoy the convenience of those little lines on the screen that tell me where the downs are. And at Wofford, our stadium is small and we're pretty close to the action, so it's not as hard to see what's going on. At this game I kept getting distracted people watching. Then I would be that girl that was all, "What happened?!" and would look for cues to cheer from the people wearing gold around us, haha. High up seats + short attention span is NOT a good combination for me.

3. I'm borderline claustrophobic. I definitely get that from my mom... she has a hard time in elevators. I'm slightly better, though crowds make me sweaty and mean and annoyed. Williams-Brice stadium holds over 80,000. Gibbs Stadium holds 13,000... 'nuff said.

...no comparison.

So, ladies and gentlemen, it seems as if I am not cut out for big-time football. I'll settle for the football experience equivalent to high school where I know all the players because I have classes with them, the athletes are not really celebrities, and I can simply leave the game and wander back to my apartment when I please... it makes me feel right at home!

However, I'm so excited for my boys, who are Southern Conference champions and have received a bye week and will be playing the University of New Hampshire December 1st in the FCS playoffs! Go Terriers!

-rk

1 comment:

  1. I am surprised at the usc attire!! I am am nc state alumni but we are.like u. Sundresses abd jack or dresses with.boots. I thought that was just known in the south!!!

    ReplyDelete