Tuesday, April 16, 2013

my heart skipped a beat when they said "Boston".

I know I said in this post just Sunday that this was going to be a week for me to step back from blogging, but it was made evident that I just had to share as a release for my heavy heart after the tragedy in Boston yesterday.

I got the push notification on my phone from my Associate Press app that said there were two explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon. I immediately stopped, my heart a million miles a minute and my eyes tearing up as I scrambled for my TV remote while simultaneously sending up prayers. Never so much had such an attack hit home for me. 

If you're friends with me on Facebook or Twitter, you may have seen my posts about one of my long-time best friends who was going to be running Boston in order to raise money with her dad, who would be taking on Boston for the 12th time. I was so thrilled for her and proud of her (I still am of course), because I knew she had worked so hard and was excited to share this day with her dad. 

Thus, why my heart stopped when I heard the news. I was able to get in touch with her sister and her mom who were watching, and was so thankful to hear they were nowhere near the finish line and C and her dad were still on the course. Prayers of thanksgiving for their safety overtook me, but as I watched the footage unfold my heart sank for those not as fortunate. 

safe and sound back in the hotel... praise the Lord!

Boston is one of my favorite cities, and I am unexplicably sad for this terrible tragedy to have unfolded, especially on a day that is a celebration for so many of extreme sacrifice and accomplishment. My heart goes out the the spectators and runners who suffered, their families, and the families that may still not know where loved ones are.  I am in awe of this effort by Google to help reunite those with their loved ones using the person finder:


I am also astounded by the bravery of the Boston Marathon volunteers, police, military, first responders,  EMS, doctors, and other medical staff that I know worked tirelessly on their feet as tragedy unfolded. I pray constantly for God's guiding hand over their work and I thank him for their knowledge and caring. 

So many are asking why. I don't know. But this sad event is evidence of a broken world that needs Jesus more than ever. I hope we can all run towards him in our hurt, confusion, and suffering for solace in His arms even when it seems easier to run away during this difficult time. 

Today, more than ever, I pray for peace that surpasses understanding 
and hope in a victorious light amidst overwhelming tragedy. 

-rk

No comments:

Post a Comment