Friday, July 26, 2013

saying yes.

via
"Yes" is one of those words that if you look at too hard for too long, it turns into something foreign. You know what I mean? It's three letters that are so familiar, and yet, at times, it's just not. Am I confusing anyone yet?

Let me start from the beginning. I've always been one to say "yes" to people. I would consider myself an optimist, a people pleaser, etc. I don't like saying "no"-- that usually implies negativity and disappointment. Lots has changed in my life these days-- new city, new house, new roommate (read: a husband!), new responsibilities, new challenges.

God sees these challenges and has His arms wide open, beckoning me to run to Him.
 To say "yes". 

But, for some reason, I just don't. It's not that I'm depressed or negative these days-- not at all! I am happy, and yet, I am restless. I am so intent on my usual need for control, organization, a solid plan, that I am failing to rest in God and simply say "yes" to the beautiful plan He has laid out for me. 

I had a mini crash-and-burn session yesterday morning. I'm not good with rejection. Who is, really? But as I sat down with the new #SheReadsTruth Bible study I began, a sense of contentment began to pull at my heart. I'm diving into a study called Women in the Bible (Part I) and for the past few days have been exploring the story of Sarai/Sarah. 

Remember that Bible school song that went like this: "Father Abraham had many sons, many sons had faaaaaather Abraham. I am one of them, and so are you, so let's just praise the Lord! Right arm, left arm, turn around...." and on and on and on?! It was one of my favorites. Little did I know, belting that song out as a 4th grader would still resonate with me at 22 years of age. 

Just in case you need a quick refresher, those many sons were a faaaaaaar stretch for the elderly Abraham and Sarah... until God made a covenant to build a new nation from their family. Abraham and Sarah said "yes" to God, leaving the only land they had ever known and blindly pursuing the Lord's purpose with an incredible trust. 

However, Sarah was not perfect. Which is why I think I admire her so much. Instead of initially simply saying "yes", she attempted to take matters into her own hands and set up an agreement with Hagar to bear a son for Abraham. Sarah's actions caused bitterness, blame, and hurt. Instead of resting in and trusting the Lord's will, she was restless. And that's where things went wrong.

Eventually, however, Sarah gave birth to Issac, just as God promised. No matter how much we falter, sin, doubt, God still claims and loves us. His plan, though it will take time, is for our good and His glory. 

I pray that these next weeks, months, or however long it takes, that I will rest in Lord and realize his plans for me instead of worrying and becoming a "DIY" life planner. Sarah leaves a legacy of faith and for that I am thankful. 

God is good. He has provided and He will continue to provide. 
I just need to learn to say "yes". 

Just my thoughts for the weekend that I wanted to share. I pray that at least one of my sweet readers will cherish these words and this truth as much as I do!

-rm

1 comment:

  1. I love this! It is too easy to get caught up in our own plans that we lose sight of what God has in store for us! It's just so funny though because when I look back on my life, better things happen when things did not necessarily go my way! We serve a super faithful God!

    ReplyDelete