Friday, August 16, 2013

Pinspiration and turquoise tables!



Yuck, right? This was our dining room before I got a crazy idea and my husband actually agreed to it. Bless him for letting me do most anything I want to make our little rental feel more like home! Our dining room table (this is a very generous description... as you can see, nothing fancy, it is literally a table we dine on!) was a hand-me-down/gift from my best friend Natalie's family. Her mom was going to sell the table and chairs (with two leaves and chairs not pictured) in their yard sale for next to nothing. Natalie knew Andrew and I were looking for one and offered it to us... we jumped on her very generous offer! 

We of course were thankful for a free table, but it was not prime. The veneer on the table was a little bubbly and worn and the seat covers were a yucky fabric that Natalie said was the original fabric on them when her family bought the set at an estate sale. I knew that I wanted to give our dining room a makeover and really make the most of our dining space. 

As usual, I was perusing Pinterest and I stumbled upon these pretties:

via
via
Anyone that knows me knows I'm semi-obsessed with the color turquoise. Once a ZTA, always a ZTA I guess! So, I decided that with a little can of paint and some new seat covers, we could really make our dining set pop. When we went home for a long weekend my mom helped me pick out fabric and recover our seats-- it was so easy, all we needed was a staple gun! We chose a multi-colored paisley and a green chevron that are so fun and bright for our mostly "vanilla" walls, counters, etc. I'm so excited because next my Nana is going to take the extra fabric to make reversible placemats for us!

When Andrew and I returned home, he set to work with a sander one afternoon and we set down an old shower curtain under the table to set up our paint shop. After one coat and some touch ups, our
table looked incredible!





Now it's your turn to weigh in:
Should we paint our chairs white, like in my first pin?! 

I like the wooden chairs, but it's a lot with the hardwood floors and our china cabinet. However, our walls are off-white. What do you think?!

Happy weekend, friends!

-rm 

7 comments:

  1. Oh. my. gosh. I LOVE this!! You did such a great job transforming this piece into something special! As far as the chairs, I think that a really nice dark stain would look great, but the white would also be nice. I can't wait to see more!

    PS- I saw that you lived in Raleigh, I'm a Triangle NC native and currently trying to move back! Small world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you! I'm still deciding but I'm leaning towards the white I think?! We just moved here about 2 months ago and love it. PLEASE let me know when you make it back or visit in the meantime! :)

      Delete
  2. I was thinking white chairs after seeing your first pin. I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girlfriend! I just might!!!

      Delete
  3. It looks great!! I've been working on some projects, too. I just painted our kitchen table and chairs "Old White" by Annie Sloan Chalk Paint (SO AMAZING!) and I LOVE the look. I'd say go for the white!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I may have to look into that exact color.. thanks so much! I'm very interested in chalk paint and that might be the way to go! Thanks for the encouragement! :)

      Delete
  4. I think white would look perfect with the table and the fabric on the chairs!

    ReplyDelete