Sunday, October 6, 2013

Sunday words: You can't compare.

You know how sometimes you feel like God is just continually knocking at the door of your heart? He is persistently reminding you in small ways of His presence and a lesson He is trying to teach you, but sometimes you just don't get it until it smacks you in the face? That happened to me today. 
God is good.

Yesterday, I was reading this She Reads Truth devotional from Genesis about sisters Leah and Rachel, both who are married to Jacob. Rachel is the younger of the two, more beautiful in Jacob's eyes. Long story short, the girls' father tricks Jacob into marrying the older, less attractive Leah before he may have Rachel's hand. The Lord sees that Leah is unloved in her marriage and allows her to have Jacob's sons, while Rachel is barren and unable to produce heirs. Though Jacob rejects Leah in his comparison of her to Rachel, God sees her heart and worth, which he values enough to give her the responsibility of carrying on the lineage of David. 
God is good. 

And today in church, we dove into Ephesians, talking about how the nature of the human heart lies in comparison, yielding feelings of both inferiority and superiority. How often do we gain our identity through comparison of ourselves to others? All too often we stratify ourselves based upon our talents or gifts, lending to hostility whether this comparison puts us on our high horse or keeps us down in the dumps. But guess what? Check out Ephesians 2:14: For he himself is our peace. Jesus took this hostility, this divide, and gave us peace on the cross. Everyday, we need this reminder of the Gospel so we recognize that our value lies in our value. Sounds silly, but it's true. 
God is good.

Comparison is so prevalent, but I think in the social media/blog world it's especially easy to get caught up in comparing ourselves to others. All too often I'll hop on a new blog, and quickly become caught up by the fact that my number of followers is laughable compared to theirs. It's easy to be jealous when I see gorgeous OOTDs on Instagram and I stare at my full closet and see "nothing" to wear. And I can't tell you how many times I've perused LinkedIn and begin questioning myself when I see that this person has MY dream career and I'm still sending out cover letters like it actually is my job. But that's not the point. Our worth is in none of these things. 
God is good.

via
Sisters, though you may feel like Leah at times, falling short of your own expectations and that of others, God loves you and has not forgotten you. He is SO good. Remember that your desire should be in pleasing Him. He shall fulfill like no paycheck, riding boots, or Instagram followers can. I could use this reminder every day, and wanted to share what's been in my head and on my heart these days. 

Happy Sunday, sweet friends!
-rm

4 comments:

  1. You are speaking right to my heart! I compare myself to so many others, with their beautiful homes, perfect nails, brand new cars, etc. yet every time I turn to Jesus, all of that goes away and I feel so humbly satisfied! Thank you for sharing this, it is much needed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really needed this post! I'm going through a bit of the same things at the moment. It's hard to remember that He is in control and won't give us more than we can manage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankful for your heart and your blog. This post was SO needed and you encourage me with your posts all the time! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete