Tuesday, November 19, 2013

30 days of thanks: books

via
Today I am thankful for a temporary escape from a crazy world through the pages of a book. I studied English literature in college, so of course I love books- all I did was read them, analyze them, critically think about them, and write papers about them for four years!

Even when I was younger, I loved reading. My mom and dad would read to me before bed and even before I was able to read on my own I would memorize the pages and call them out if they tried to skip parts to rush along my bedtime! Once I was in elementary school, some of my favorite books were in series- Little House on the Prairie, Anne of Green Gables, Boxcar Children, Nancy Drew, and so many more. I have always grown up with a love of reading.

I would much rather lose myself in a book before plopping in front of the television to watch a show or movie. There's just something about immersing yourself in a storyline, empathizing with characters and feeling the tension of conflict, the sadness of tragedy or the awkwardness of a silly encounter in a chick lit book. I just love borrowing a book from a friend or downloading a new title recommended to me for my Kindle and sitting down with a cup of coffee. Little things like that bring me so much joy, so today I am thankful for peaceful moments getting lost in the words of a book.

What books do you just love? Recommendations from friends are the best!

-rm


4 comments:

  1. Nothing makes me happier than losing myself in a book. I miss reading the Boxcar Children, Little House on the Prairie, and Anne of Green Gables. I think I may need to go back and re-read some of those again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, sister! I was thinking the same thing yesterday as I curled up with coffee and a good book! I don't think you'd like much of what I've read recently, but The Giver was one of my favorite books from childhood! I'd love to hear some of your book recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed! You took my topic for today! Nothing is greater than an escape through a novel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too love reading and would much rather read a book than watch TV (with the exception of watching my beloved Tar Heels play). I also loved series growing up. My favorite was The Babysitters Club and I also loved the American Girl doll books. Karen Kingsbury is currently my favorite author and if you haven't read anything by her I highly recommend it! She writes the most wonderful uplifting Christian fiction. Whenever I read something by her I get a great story and am encouraged in my faith! Send me a message if you want recommendations of specific titles!
    -Liz
    pearlsgowitheverything.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete