Wednesday, November 6, 2013

30 days of thanks: my parents.

Today's post is a big shout out to my dear mom and dad! I am an only child, so I have always been extremely close to my parental units. I will admit that I am quite the homebody- I couldn't get myself to travel abroad for more than three weeks and I attended college only 30 minutes from my hometown. Some may think that was playing it safe, but I just love my family too much to be away for too long. I have always had so much love and respect for my mom and dad, but now that I live 4 hours away from where I lived for 22 years, I have a whole new appreciation for my sweet mama and daddy! 


We always laugh that I am by far my father's daughter. We both have horrible eyesight, fair skin and bad teeth (hallelujah for three years of braces!) but my mom insists that is all trumped by the fact that I inheirited my daddy's smarts. And even though I love shopping as much as the next girl, I am slowly finding that I have adopted my dad's financial frugality and coupon-clipping habit! I'm definitely a daddy's girl and we've become close over CostCo runs (we both just love shopping in bulk!), days on the golf course, and the famous "daddy/daughter donut dates" at Dunkin' Donuts. My dad has supported my many dreams and made them possible in so many ways: a degree at Wofford, opportunities to travel, a beautiful wedding I'll never forget, and so much more. Somehow he always sends a text message just to let me know he's thinking of me when I need it the most.


My mom and I have always been close (think Lorelai and Rory, but a few more boundaries, haha!) but it's only since moving away that I have truly realized how much of a friend my mom has become to me over the years. We text and chat on the phone all the time. Even all my friends love her- she is fondly referred to as "Mama Suz" by all my Wofford friends. Just like my dad, she is behind me all the way, looking out for my happiness and well-being. She's always down for a retail therapy session or a Starbucks run and is my biggest confidante and advice-giver. I don't know what I would do without her!


I have learned that you are never too old to miss your mom and dad. I am grateful for parents who support me 100%. Who encourage me to never, ever, give up. Who are always there to pick me up and give me a nudge forward when I fall down. I am so very thankful for a mom and dad that love Jesus, each other, and me so fiercely. 

-rm 



1 comment:

  1. Gosh, what a sweet tribute to your parents! Your clear love for them makes me want to know them, too. Loving what you are thankful for these 30 days. :)

    ReplyDelete