Monday, December 2, 2013

30 Days of Thanks: family

Unintentionally, I've dropped the ball a bit on my "30 Days of Thanks" blog post series. I realize that we are already into December (but really, how did THAT happen!?) but who says I can't be thankful on into December as well? The past 10 days that I haven't posted have been busy, but in the best possible way. Busy pursuing new hobbies, preparing for new opportunities, and spending time with the people I love most over a long Thanksgiving break-- all things I am thankful for! Let's get on with it, then!
---------------------

Those who know me well know that I'm an only child. Since I don't have any brothers and sisters, my extended family is extremely important to me. I'm very close with many of my cousins- something I've only just realized is relatively rare! I am one of 16 grandchildren on my mom's side of the family- crazy, right?! I'm especially close to my cousin Sarah, who is only two months older than I am. We grew up doing gymnastics and dance together, were on student council at rival high schools, and she was a bridesmaid in my wedding! Most of my mom's side of the family is still in the area of upstate SC, so we all get to see each other pretty regularly at Thanksgiving and Christmas- such a blessing! A few of us (like myself) have moved away but we aren't far enough that we can't come back and visit. It's also so fun to have everyone together for cousin weddings- there are so many of us, that there is an average of one every few years! 

I'm so lucky to have both sets of grandparents in my hometown as well- my mom's parents, my Nana and Papa, live 10 minutes from my parent's house. My dad's mom- my Mimi- also lives closeby, in an independent assistant living facility. Though my Papa Bill passed before I was born, I am so blessed to otherwise have healthy, loving grandparents that I truly enjoy spending time with. We don't get to see my dad's side of the family as much since they are spread around the lower state, but we always pick up right where we left off when the family gets together! 



I am so thankful for the quality family time I was able to enjoy over the Thanksgiving holiday and I'm already excited for Christmas get-togethers!
-rm



2 comments:

  1. I also dropped the ball on 30 days of thanks but we can be thankful throughout December!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful family! You have a lot of them so if you counted each person as one day, you could probably be caught up! haha! xoxo

    ReplyDelete