Thursday, December 19, 2013

The "Giving Back" gift guide

I love giving gifts... I don't think there is anything better than finding or making the perfect gift for a loved one to exchange this time of year. There are tons of gift guides bouncing around the blogosphere this year, and I wanted to make one of my own... with a little different focus. Everyone knows the whole Toms "one for one" deal, and I love that so many other companies have followed this model to make shopping doubly wonderful. Here are a few of my picks for gifts that give back... and I'm not talking about re-gifting!




1/ Headbands of Hope
This particular headband is the "Natitude", named in honor of a sorority sister of mine who found out as a college freshman that she was battling ovarian cancer. I am happy to report that she has now been cancer free for a year! The founder of Headbands of Hope is a student at NCSU who used a summer internship to change the lives of so many children battling cancer. For each headband purchased, a headband is donated to a girl who has lost her hair during chemo and $1 is donated to St. Baldrick's Foundation for cancer research. What an incredible way to share hope and joy with those you love!

2/ Heifer International gift of farm animals
For just $20, you can buy a flock of chicks for a family in need that provides nourishment and sustainable income. My home church has always been involved with this organization, and I think it is such a wonderful idea to give a gift like this in someone's honor. Wouldn't it be kind of fun to all chip in and buy a camel?! Guess what day it is, indeed!!

3/ WritefullyHis stationery
A dear college friend and sorority sister of mine started her own "one for one" stationery company, WritefullyHis, after being inspired while studying abroad. Grace's company has exploded in just the past year- what started as a simple operation stamping quality paper and collaborating with photographers to create beautiful cards has turned into a full-blown business complete with custom wedding paper, wholesale options, and a beautiful pop-up shop in the downtown of our college town. WritefullyHis strives to give back by providing children in Rwanda, Tanzania, Kenya, and Uganda with writing supplies to help them learn, grow, and make a difference through their own education.

4/ Lily and Laura beaded bracelets
I never head about these beauties until I made it to Raleigh, and I swear they are everywhere! When I worked in retail ladies of every age loved going through our bowl of these colorful bracelets. Not only are they gorgeous, but each unique bracelet is handmade by a special group of women in Nepal who are fairly compensated for their work and have the satisfaction of creating beautiful artwork that helps support their families! Chances are a boutique near you carries them so load up!

These are just a few ideas for all you last minute shoppers like myself- I love getting more gift ideas from readers. What are your favorite options for gifts that keep on giving?! 

-rm

3 comments:

  1. I love all of these! This is one of the best guides I've seen for sure. I am in love with the Lily and Laura bracelets. They are gorgeous and for a great cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every year for Christmas my dad buys an animal in honor of both my sister and I through Heifer International. While we never physically see the gift, I love knowing that we truly helped someone!

    ReplyDelete