Monday, January 6, 2014

2013 goals: revisited

I'm a little late in the game, but I wanted to do a recap of my 2013 goals as a sort of personal reflection to see my progress and where I'm lacking. Check out my original post here about my "13 in 2013" and read on to see how I did!
  1. Graduate from Wofford with a 3.9 cumulative GPA. That one was pretty lofty... but I got pretty close! I'd say a 3.8 basically counts!
  2. Continue in consistency with this blog! I would say I did well on this goal this year. I attended my first blogger meet-up, participated in multiple link ups, and challenged myself for my "30 Days of Thanks". 
  3. Create a booklist (of the titles I've been wanting to read forever!) and read for the FUN of it! To be honest, I don't think I read more this year than any other year in particular. I have a long list of books on my Kindle that I will continue to tackle! 
  4. Commit to daily scripture reading. I was much better in my daily devotional this year, especially after the move. However, I did not succeed with my "daily" goal.
  5. Continue my work in the Wofford communications office and save (at least) half my earnings. I loved my time in the communications office. I'm so glad I decided to save my earnings too- a great practice to keep going! 
  6. Become more intentional in the daily ministry of my life. This year I tried to use my blog as an outlet for that. A lot of times I bared my heart, hoping that my readers could relate to how tough it can be to keep the faith sometimes! When I was still at Wofford, RUF Ministry Team was a great way to do this. It was such a blessing to serve my campus in the name of Jesus!
  7. After the wedding, try at least two new recipes a week and plan out meals for us. Not sure if I've tried 2 new recipes a week, but I have been better than I thought I would be about cooking. I do meal plan each week and we've had fun trying some awesome new dishes!
  8. Run a 5K, and upon completion, work towards a 10K. I did the Color Run in March, but didn't get a chance to work towards the 10K... that will come this year! Once I train enough to be able to run 3.1 again... oy. 
  9. Closely related, lose 10-15 pounds by the wedding with a healthy lifestyle that can be maintained.  Well, I did that before the wedding... score! But once the honeymoon was over and there wasn't the immense pressure to look fab in a strapless dress, I slacked. I still make a point to eat well, but I definitely fell off the exercise wagon. Time to get back on! 
  10. Land my dream job-- anything related to writing, event planning, public relations, social media marketing, and creative communications-- or all of the above! Not yet. But the Lord has a plan for me. Meanwhile, I love my job of hanging out with the sweet kids in my neighborhood- their families are such a blessing!
  11. Find a church/Bible study group in the new city we move to after Andrew begins graduate school and grow in friendship and fellowship with new people. Once again... a work in progress. We have settled on a church we really like, which is great! This year I am going to really work hard on getting involved in the women's ministry and Andrew and I both really would like to get involved in a small group! 
  12. Work on less excess-- in many senses. This is kind of a work in progress... this will go on into this year! Cleaning, organizing, budgeting... you get the idea. 
  13. Get writing published in a local magazine to add to my resume and portfolio.  I was published in Wofford's alumni magazine for a student spotlight and it was so exciting! 
So ladies and gents, that was my 2013. I'd say I did pretty well, overall. Stay tuned to see what I'm planning for 2014!

-rm

7 comments:

  1. Way to accomplish your goals for the year! The important thing is that you set goals, and you set out to meet them, I wouldn't worry a lick about the ones you missed : )
    Ps- way to rock that 3.8 GPA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I always have a list of books on my Kindle that need to be read too.

    http://aroseinthecity0.blogspot.com/2013/12/radiant-orchid.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you accomplished a lot of goals, I have a never ending to-read list on goodreads but it is fun to track how I'm reading! Here's to 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, running 3.1 miles feels like a marathon to me! I ran one 5K and am hoping to do many more this year. Best of luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You go girl! Seriously, the fact that you made 2013 such a productive year is incredible, especially with the adversities you faced... Such an inspiration, and the best is yet to come!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you really accomplished a lot in 2013...not to mention GOT MARRIED!! Can't wait to see what the next year has in store for you!

    ReplyDelete