Monday, February 3, 2014

weekend update: roomie edition!

You know those weekends that you put down on your calendar, eagerly anticipating them for WEEKS? The ones that come and begin with lots of laughter and non-stop chatting and end (far too quickly may I add) with long hugs and the hardest "empty" feeling when the car pulls away? Yup, this was one of those weekends.

This weekend my senior year roommates Lea, Jennings, and Lauren had been planning to come up for their maiden voyage to Raleigh and our little house. Unfortunate last minute circumstances prevented Lauren from making the trip, but I loved spending time with Lea and Jennings and Facetime-ing with Lauren Saturday evening!

Friday was a marathon day of babysitting for me, and between hopping to three different homes to babysit for various amounts of time, I was able to tackle the immense list of "to-do's" that were necessary before having visitors: grocery shopping for the week, dusting, making sure spare sheets and towels are clean, vacuuming and Swiffering the floors, and general straightening up. Somehow I got it all done, and I made it home by 8:30pm Friday evening just in time to eat some leftovers and begin baking a homemade version of our favorite Pizza Inn Buffet (fondly known as "PIB") dessert chocolate chip pizza! Our senior year we would love to go to PIB for a cheap "all you can eat" treat on special college discount nights, and dessert pizza was always a highlight! I tried out this recipe and it was a hit! Jennings and Lea arrived around 9:30 and were greeted with dessert, wine, and very brief home tour. We stayed up until the wee hours catching up and also watching our wedding video that was finished and received over Christmas!


Andrew and I got up Saturday morning and started making a breakfast of biscuits, bacon, and pancakes (complete with toppings bar featuring strawberries, Nutella and peanut butter!). Once the girls woke up, sweet Andrew finished the cooking while we talked and made plans for the day. We got ready and ventured to NC State's campus where Andrew gave the girls a tour of his stomping grounds in the architecture studio and around the iconic campus bell tower. We went over to Centennial Campus to show the girls the new Hunt Library... seriously, this is not just any library... it is freaking awesome. The technology is incredible, the seating areas are colorful and modern, and it is home to the "BookBot"- the best way I can describe it is a robot smart enough to identify and retrieve the library's massive collection amount of books stored in bins! It started to sprinkle so we picked up lunch to eat at home and then headed to the mall, even though I really wanted to shop the boutiques at Cameron Village. It ended up being just as fun though- we all made out with some great purchases and I bought my first pair of J Crew Minnies on MAJOR sale... I've heard I will become addicted!



I hate I didn't get any pictures of our evening, but after shopping we met up with a fellow Wofford friend, Katherine, who is at Duke Law. We ate at Cantina 18 in Cameron Village, one of my absolute favorites! We all split a bowl of queso (necessary) and treated ourselves to strawberry-vanilla sangria (me and Jennings) and margaritas (Lea and Katherine). Everyone was happy with their choices and we each ordered something different. It was great to catch up with Katherine and have a night out with the girls like we did so often in our undergrad days! 

After dinner we were stuffed and pretty tired, so we crashed back at our place and watched some Netflix and just enough of SNL to catch Seth Meyer's last Weekend Update (so sad!) and then we were all zonked out!

Sunday morning we got up and enjoyed brunch at another great spot in Cameron Village, Flying Biscuit Cafe. Conversation over coffee, biscuits, and omelettes was a great way to end the weekend. After our meal, the girls got their stuff together and hit the road back to SC. I was sad to see them go, but I am so thankful for our time together. It's been tough to be away from my best friends since graduation considering they all were just a short walk down the hall or just an apartment away! 

Here's to having more Raleigh visitors soon!

-rm 

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had such a great weekend with your college friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sound like a perfect weekend! I know how you feel about missing your college friends! I am lucky to still have a lot in the area and we try to get together at least once a month but my old roomies are all over 2 hours away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to see you had fun with your college friends! It's always fun! And that dessert pizza recipe sounds amazing. I'd have a hard time just eating one :) Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love seeing pictures of y'all together again! Can't wait for my turn to visit the McCall household :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love seeing pictures of y'all together again! Also, I'm pretty devastated I had no idea Pizza Inn did college discount nights... I'll most definitely be making the chocolate chip pizza soon (like, this week, soon, if I'm being real).

    ReplyDelete
  6. College reunions are the best. Simply the best.

    ReplyDelete