Tuesday, July 22, 2014

sore feet, mimosas & pretty dresses

Those, my friends, are the makings of an incredible wedding weekend.

Is it just me, or do wedding weekends make you want to just explode with joy and happiness and dread going back to "real life"? This past weekend, I enjoyed an especially wonderful weekend, celebrating the marriage of my cousin Blaire and her now-husband Kyle.

Growing up, I’ve always been close to my extended family, and we always joke that Swiger weddings (my mom's side of the family) are an event to behold – always a good time, always a party. I knew Blaire and Kyle’s wedding would be no different. They’ve been together for quite some time, and ever since they began dating, we’ve always considered Kyle a part of our family – this weekend it was finally made official! The way they care for each other, love each other, and support each other during difficult times has been truly incredible to see, and I’m so glad the Lord brought these two together. I knew this weekend was going to be a special one!

{friday}

I took a day off work on Friday in order to make the trip to Greenville to attend Blaire’s bridal brunch at Brick Street Café. It was major déjà vu, considering my aunts held my brunch at that very spot just last year. It was a sweet afternoon of catching up with family, getting to know Blaire’s bridesmaids, and eating some delicious food – Brick Street’s famous sweet potato cake, included!


I had the pleasure of attending the future diPretoro’s rehearsal dinner as the photographer. It was an elegantly simple gathering, one of lots of laughs and tears as the groom stood up to thank all who have loved and supported the couple throughout the years, and talked about how much Blaire meant to him. My parents and I were on clean-up duty at the venue, so we stayed late straightening up and came home exhausted after a fun, long day.


{saturday}

Saturday morning was déjà vu all over again, as Blaire’s bridesmaids came over to get ready at my parent’s house. I kept having flashbacks to the morning in June when my bridesmaids and I sipped mimosas and got prepped for my own wedding day. It was so fun to spend this time with Blaire and her girls as she prepared to become Mrs. diPretoro!

Of course, Blaire looked stunning and the wedding ceremony was beautiful. My cousin Sarah and I were the greeters, handing out programs to all who came. Even though the day was a bit wet, the rain managed to let up at all the right times and it even cooled down what could have been a miserably hot July day.

had to snag a selfie before she walked down the aisle!

I hitched a ride with Sarah and her boyfriend to the reception (unfortunately Andrew couldn’t make the wedding weekend – one of his cousins was getting married the same weekend so we had to pull double wedding duty!) at Zen, a beautiful, modern venue in downtown Greenville.

The food was amazing – I’m talking build-your-own burger sliders, salad bar, mashed potato bar and more – and it was quite a party. The DJ was great and my cousins, aunts and uncles took OVER the dance floor, literally dancing the night away until it was time for Blaire and Kyle to leave.

There was a fun surprise during the reception – I got to meet Tahj Boyd, former Clemson quarterback! A March of Dimes fundraiser was going on at Zen in the next room over, and Tahj and Connor Shaw (of USC) were the featured guests. I couldn’t resist the chance to introduce myself and snag a photo op!

My wedding date for the evening - ha!

my fellow greeter/dance partner/cousin/bestie since day 1!

with the happy couple!

matching my mama - I got dressed first, I swear!

Sadly, the time came for the celebrations to wind down. The happy couple ran outside through a tunnel of sparklers and hopped in the back of my dad’s baby blue Mustang (like the one from Princess Diaries!) to take them to their hotel for the evening!

and they lived happily ever after!

It was a truly wonderful weekend and my heart is so full. I have total wedding nostalgia, and I miss my family and Greenville like crazy now that I’m back in NC. I’ll be back soon, though.

Cheers to the new Mr. & Mrs. diPretoro and wonderful wedding celebrations!

-rm

No comments:

Post a Comment